A Moving Experience
Relax – Take a deep breath – You can do this!
Professional movers excluded, no one likes moving. It can be one of the most stressful situations you experience, and you’ll most likely do it several times throughout your life. Although you can’t eliminate all the stress involved, you might be able to make the process a little more tolerable by following these steps:
- Make a plan – The sooner you prepare, the better. Take a few days to evaluate the situation and take notes. Waiting until the last minute will only make things more difficult and could ultimately cost you time and money.
- Sort and purge – Take the time to go through the house and organize things. While you’re at it, it’s a great idea to get rid of things you don’t need. Have a yard sale and donate what you don’t sell.
- Pack by room – Unpacking will be much easier if you don’t have to repeatedly open boxes and try to figure out where they go. Just make sure you label the boxes!
- Pack smart – There are many ways to help ensure your belongings are easily transported and arrive undamaged, like:
- Pack books or other heavy items in smaller boxes or rolling suitcases.
- Use towels and blankets as padding for fragile items.
- If you disassemble furniture, put screws and other accessories in baggies and attach them to the furniture.
- Take pictures of your electronics and label wires before you start unplugging.
One more thing – don’t forget your utilities! Call a couple of weeks in advance to discontinue service at your current address and sign up for service at your new one. It’s also a good idea to check the cost of the utilities in your new place so you won’t be caught off guard with your first bill. FirstEnergy offers a great service that can help making that transition easier and may save you money. Visit the Connections page on this site for more information.