Arbor Day Celebrates the Importance of Trees in Our Lives
Remember the first time you climbed a tree? How about a summer picnic in the shade of a sturdy Oak or waiting out a spring rain under a welcoming canopy? Some of our best memories are surrounded by our leafy friends, and it’s virtually impossible to imagine our lives without them.
Arbor Day is upon us. Nationally, it’s observed the last Friday of April, but some states celebrate during the time that’s best for tree planting in that area. All around the country, businesses and civic groups host events dedicated to the planting, caring and the conservation of trees. Why not join them and plant some new memories?
Not only do trees remind us of times gone by, they also provide many other benefits:
- Beauty – From spring buds and flowers to the brilliant contrast of fall leaves, trees provide natural beauty by adding color, dimension and character to your home.
- Shade – During the hot summer months, a tree can provide much needed shade for your yard, patio or deck, allowing you and your family to be more comfortable while enjoying the outdoors.
- Energy Savings – Well-placed trees near your home can reduce your energy costs by providing shade in the summer and blocking gusts of wind in the winter.
- Health – Trees help clean the air by absorbing carbon dioxide and producing oxygen. They also filter rainwater before it enters aquifers and watersheds.
- Eco Diversity – Trees provide a home and shelter for birds, animals and insects.
If your yard is already tree friendly, be sure to take care of the trees you have. Annual pruning, health maintenance, and emergency care are all important for tree owners. Many of these projects are time consuming and sometimes dangerous, so it’s not a bad idea to call in an expert. FirstEnergy works with local contractors who can help keep your trees strong and healthy for years to come. Click here to learn more!